zidovsky cintorin 16A large Jewish community arrived in Kysuce in the second half of the 18th century; however members of the community are sporadically mentioned also in later periods. Thirteen Jews were reported directly in Vysoká in 1790. The number of Jews gradually increased and in the middle of the 19th century the local Jewish community had 50 members and by 1913 there were 81. Establishment of the Slovak state in 1939 and introduction of the Jewish Code had fatal consequences for Jews.

 


The Jewish synagogue used to stand in the village of Vysoká nad Kysucou, a part of Nižný Kelčov, on the place where a house stands today. A stone board with the Decalogue inscribed on it is displayed in front of the house. Remains of a Jewish cemetery, one of the last monuments of this once large community in Kysuce, are preserved above the village. Fragments of Jewish cemeteries can also be found in Turzovka, Stará Bystrica and Kysucké Nové Mesto.

Contactt:

Obecný úrad Vysoká nad Kysucou, Ústredie 215, 023 55 Vysoká nad Kysucou, +421 (0)41 436 11 01, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., www.vysokanadkysucou.sk

 

Access to the cemetery:
Vysoká nad Kysucou, Nižný Kelčov, above the railway station.

 

Photos: