The chapel, built in 1932, is located in the settlement of Škradné and is bordered by five majestic trees. In 2024, the celebration of Holy Mass was renewed here after 28 years.
Date of construction: 1928 - 1932
Patronage: Our Lady of Lourdes
Location: Vysoká nad Kysucou, Škradné, GPS: 49.3663617N, 18.5023297E
Material: stone, brick, wood
Altar/Statue: On the altar table, a wooden white altar with burgundy inner embroidery borders, in the center, a small light blue cabinet where the statue of Our Lady of Lourdes is placed. At her feet, there are two non-original porcelain angel figurines. In front of the statue is a small metal cross with corpus. On the upper part of the cabinet are two carved decorative parts with white balls at the top and a small cross in the middle (all burgundy-colored). On the right side of the altar is a statue of St. Joseph holding baby Jesus, and on the left is a statue of St. Francis of Assisi in a monastic habit.
Founder: Jozef Korchaník, according to other sources, the chapel was built by Karolína Korchaníková in 1928.
Dimensions: The width of the chapel is 353 cm, length is 305 cm. The apse is 207 cm wide (slightly narrowing) and 150 cm long.
Description: The building has a rectangular floor plan, a single nave with a slightly narrowing square apse. In the front, there are two rounded columns supporting the roof, forming a kind of terrace in front of the entrance. On the terrace, there are new wooden benches on both sides (one on each side). The doors are wooden, ocher-colored, and glazed in the upper part (possibly original). The two front columns were painted blue, and the inscription above the entrance "AVE MARIA" was renewed (also in blue). On the front part of the roof, the year 1932 is painted on the facade, with an image of the Virgin Mary with a Child above it. Above the terrace, the chapel has a small tower where the bell is placed. A long rope extends from the bell above the terrace (attached to a nail on the left side of the door frame) to allow ringing. The tower has four openings with lowered wooden shutters and is fully covered with sheet metal cladding. It has a pyramidal roof covered in metal, topped with a metal cross. The roof of the chapel is significantly covered with moss. The rafters are decorated with two carved chalices.
The interior is painted white with a dark burgundy accent paint on the lower wall. An interesting feature of the chapel’s interior is three wall paintings (height 125 cm x width 67 cm) – on the right and left above the altar table are paintings of angels, one in a blue robe, the other in a purple robe. On the altar table, there are four simple metal candlesticks, and on the altar itself, two smaller ones. On the ceiling above the altar is a wall painting of a dove – the symbol of the Holy Spirit. On the right, behind the entrance door, hangs a picture of the Virgin Mary holding baby Jesus, and in the niche, there is a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. To the left of the door is a picture of the Holy Trinity, and in the niche, a picture of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. The chapel is lit by two rectangular windows (125 cm x 82 cm), with metal grills in the shape of a cross, the glass is colored. The cross is white, the lower parts purple and blue, and the upper parts yellow and green. The floor is wooden, with a step in front of the altar extending across the whole width of the sanctuary. In front of the altar table is a statue of the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus. From the ceiling hangs an eternal light, which is not original.
Surroundings: The chapel is located in the settlement of Škradné, among five trees. Its orientation is north-south (entrance from the north, apse to the south). On the eastern and northern sides of the chapel, there is a wooden fence enclosing the garden of a family house. The deciduous trees block sunlight with their crowns in summer, allowing moisture-loving moss to thrive on the roof.
Masses or worships (for which feast, regularly/irregularly): In 2024, the celebration of the Mass in the chapel was renewed. On May 25, a Mass was held after 28 years.
Text author: Mgr. Drahomír Velička, PhD.
Photos: Štefan Strýček
Map:
Photo Gallery:

